What’s Happening in Washington: Week of June 19th, 2023
Headlines to Know
Top of mind on Capitol Hill as lawmakers return from recess this week are the annual spending bills to keep the government open, which must be enacted by the time the new fiscal year starts on Oct. 1. Other priorities include legislation authorizing military programs, updating agriculture and food-aid policy and keeping the country’s airports running, all of which must also be enacted by the new fiscal year, although Congress can also agree to temporarily extend current programs.
House Republicans have introduced the American Confidence in Elections (ACE) Act, a comprehensive election reform legislation that encourages states to make changes to their local election processes and adjusts federal campaign finance rules. The bill includes requirements for states receiving federal grants, such as preserving election materials, allowing audits, and implementing restrictions on “ballot harvesting.” The legislation prohibits nonprofit organizations from directly funding election boards and repeals President Biden’s executive order promoting voter registration.
President Biden and Turkish President Erdoğan are scheduled to meet Tuesday at the NATO summit in Europe. The Biden administration has been urging Turkey and Hungary to support Sweden’s accession to NATO, but President Erdoğan has linked Sweden’s entry to Turkey’s admission to the European Union, citing concerns about Sweden’s stance on the Kurdish Workers’ Party, which is designated as a terrorist group by the U.S., Turkey, and the EU.
The Senate Judiciary Committee has announced its intention to markup a Supreme Court ethics bill in the following week, as the justices concluded their term without implementing any changes to their reporting of gifts. The proposal would force the Court to adopt a code of conduct for itself and impose the same gift, travel and income disclosure standards for justices as the ones members of Congress follow. The bill would also require the Supreme Court to publish its ethics rules and procedures on its website and would create a new board of circuit court judges to examine complaints against sitting justices.
- House Committee on Ways and Means Field Hearing: Trade in America: Agriculture and Critical Supply Chains – Kimball, Minnesota
- House Committee on House Administration Field Hearing: “American Confidence in Elections: The Path to Election Integrity Across America
- House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic Hearing: “Investigating the Proximal Origin of a Cover Up”
- House Committee on Rules Meeting: H.R. 2670 – National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2024
- Senate Armed Services Committee Hearings to examine the nomination of General Charles Q. Brown, USAF for reappointment to the grade of general and to be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Senate Appropriations Committee Hearings to examine how the Special Diabetes Program is creating hope for those living with type 1 diabetes.
- Senate Subcommittee on Primary Health and Retirement Security (Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee) Hearings to examine superbugs, focusing on the impact of antimicrobial resistance on modern medicine.
- Senate Subcommittee on Investigations (Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee) Hearings to examine the PGA-LIV deal, focusing on implications for the future of golf and Saudi Arabia’s influence in the United States.
- Senate Intelligence Committee Hearings to examine certain intelligence matters. (CLOSED)
- Senate Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development (Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs) Hearings to examine exploiting the American Dream, focusing on land contractors and homebuyers.
- House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology Hearing: Enhancing Fire Weather Prediction and Coordination
- House Committee on Oversight and accountability Markup of The Full Committee to Consider the Following: 1) H.R. 4435, the Unauthorized Spending Accountability (USA) Act; 2) H.R. 1209, the Fair and Open Competition Act (FOCA); 3) H.R. 3358, the Mission Not Emissions Act; 4) H.R. 3230, the Unfunded Mandates Accountability and Transparency Act; 5) H.R. 890, the Guidance Out Of Darkness (GOOD) Act; 6) H.R. 4428, the Guidance Clarity Act; 7) H.R. 192, To prohibit individuals who are not citizens of the United States from voting in elections in the District of Columbia; 8) H.R. ____, Modernizing the Acquisition of Cybersecurity Experts Act; 9) H.R. ____, AI Training Expansion Act; 10) H.R. 1695, Strengthening Agency Management and Oversight of Software Assets (SAMOSA) Act; 11) Several postal naming measures.
- House Committee on the Judiciary Hearing: Oversight of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- House Committee on Financial Services Hearing: Protecting Investor Interests: Examining Environmental and Social Policy in Financial Regulation
- House Committee on Homeland Security Markup of H.R. 2577, H.R. 4467, and H.R. 4470
- House Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources (Committee on Natural Resources) Meeting: Oversight Hearing titled “Examining the Biden Administration’s Record on Federal Coal Leasing.”
- House Committee on Education and the Workforce Markup of H.R. XXXX, the Transparency in Billing Act H.R. XXXX, the Transparency in Coverage Act H.R. XXXX, the Health DATA Act H.R. XXXX, the Hidden Fee Disclosure Act
- House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations (Committee on Veterans’ Affairs) Hearing: Legislative Hearing on: H.R. 4278, Restore Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability Act; H.R. 196, Expediting Temporary Ratings for Veterans Act; H.R. XXX, Modernizing Department of Veteran Affairs Disability Benefit Questionnaires Act; H.R. 3504, VA Medical Center Security Report Act; H.R. 2733, Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Inspector General Training Act; and H.R. 4225, VA Acquisition Review Board Act
- House Subcommittee on Indian and Insular Affairs (Committee on Natural Resources) Meeting: Legislative hearing on the following bills: • H.R. 929 (Rep. Kilmer), “Puyallup Tribe of Indians Land Into Trust Confirmation Act of 2023”; • H.R. 2882 (Rep. Ciscomani), “Udall Foundation Reauthorization Act of 2023”; and • H.R. 3579 (Rep. Johnson of SD), “Tribal Trust Land Homeownership Act of 2023.”
- House Subcommittee on Work and Welfare (Committee on Ways and Means) Hearing: Where is all the Welfare Money Going? Reclaiming TANF Non-Assistance Dollars to Lift Americans Out of Poverty
- House Subcommittee on Border Security and Enforcement (Committee on Homeland Security) Hearing: “Protecting the U.S. Homeland: Fighting the Flow of Fentanyl from the Southwest Border”
- Senate Committee on Armed Services Hearings to examine the nomination of General Randy A. George, USA for reappointment to the grade of general and to be Chief of Staff of the Army.
- Senate Committee on Budget, Hearings to examine protecting Social Security for all, focusing on making the wealthy pay their fair share.
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation Business meeting to consider pending calendar business.
- Senate Subcommittee on Public Lands, Forests, and Mining (Committee on Energy and Natural Resources) Hearings to examine S.636, to establish the Dolores River National Conservation Area and the Dolores River Special Management Area in the State of Colorado, to protect private water rights in the State, S.912, to require the Secretary of Energy to provide technology grants to strengthen domestic mining education, S.1015, to require the Secretary of Agriculture to convey the Pleasant Valley Ranger District Administrative Site to Gila County, Arizona, S.1088, to authorize the relinquishment and in lieu selection of land and minerals in the State of North Dakota, to restore land and minerals to Indian Tribes within the State of North Dakota, S.1254, to designate and expand wilderness areas in Olympic National Forest in the State of Washington, and to designate certain rivers in Olympic National Forest and Olympic National Park as wild and scenic rivers, S.1405, to provide for the exchange of certain Federal land and State land in the State of Utah, S.1622, to discourage speculative oil and gas leasing and to promote enhanced multiple use management of public land and National Forest System land, S.1634, to provide for the designation of certain wilderness areas, recreation management areas, and conservation areas in the State of Colorado, S.1657, to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to convey certain land to La Paz County, Arizona, S.1760, to amend the Apex Project, Nevada Land Transfer and Authorization Act of 1989 to include the city of North Las Vegas, Nevada, and the Apex Industrial Park Owners Association, S.1776, to provide for the protection of and investment in certain Federal land in the State of California, S.1890, to provide for the establishment of a grazing management program on Federal land in Malheur County, Oregon, S.2020, to amend the Oregon Resource Conservation Act of 1996 to reauthorize the Deschutes River Conservancy Working Group, S.2042, to amend the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area Act to adjust the boundary of the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area, S.2136, to require the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture to convey certain Federal land to the State of Utah for inclusion in certain State parks, S.2149, to sustain economic development and recreational use of National Forest System land in the State of Montana, to add certain land to the National Wilderness Preservation System, to designate new areas for recreation, and an original bill to release from wilderness study area designation certain land in the State of Montana, to improve the management of that land.
- Senate Subcommittee on Economic Policy (Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs) Hearings to examine bank mergers and the economic impacts of consolidation.
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs Hearings to examine S.616, to amend the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Reservation Restoration Act to provide for the transfer of additional Federal land to the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, S.1898, to amend the Northwestern New Mexico Rural Water Projects Act to make improvements to that Act, and S.1987, to provide for the settlement of the water rights claims of the Fort Belknap Indian Community.
- Senate Committee on Intelligence Hearings to examine certain pending nominations.
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship Business meeting to consider pending calendar business.
- Senate Subcommittee on Intellectual Property (Judiciary Committee) Hearings to examine Artificial Intelligence and intellectual property, focusing on copyright.
- Senate Committee on Veteran’s Affairs Hearings to examine pending legislation.
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Business meeting to consider pending calendar business.
- House Subcommittee on Emergency Management and Technology (Committee on Homeland Security) Hearing: “Future of FEMA: Agency Perspectives with Administrator Criswell”
- House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology Hearing: Continuing U.S. Leadership in Commercial Space at Home and Abroad
- House Subcommittee on Oversight and Accountability (Committee on Foreign Affairs) Hearing: The State Department’s Climate Agenda: A Budget Overview by the Special Presidential Envoy for Climate
- House Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management (Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure) Hearing: When the Lights Are On But No One’s Home: An Examination of Federal Office Space Utilization.
- House Committee on Oversight and Accountability Joint Hearing: “Beyond the Budget: Addressing Financial Accountability in the Department of Defense”
- House Subcommittee on Capital Markets (Committee on Financial Services) Hearing: Reforming the Proxy Process to Safeguard Investor Interests
- House Subcommittee on Federal Lands (Committee on Natural Resources) Hearing: Legislative Hearing on: • H.R. 386 (Rep. Johnson of SD), “Mount Rushmore Protection Act”; • H.R. 1318 (Rep. Neguse),”Women’s Suffrage National Monument Location Act”; • H.R. 2717 (Rep. Moore of UT), “Hershel Woody Williams National Medal of Honor Monument Location Act”; • H.R. 3448 (Rep. Stefanik), “American Battlefield Protection Program Enhancement Act”; • H.R. 4377 (Rep. Grijalva), To amend the Military Lands Withdrawal Act of 1999 with respect to extensions, additions, and revisions to the Barry M. Goldwater Range in Arizona.
- House Committee on the Judiciary Hearing: Oversight of the Federal Trade Commission
- House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence Markup of FY 2024 Intelligence Authorization Act (CLOSED)
- House Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development (Committee on Education and the Workforce) Hearing: “Exposing the Dangers of the Influence of Foreign Adversaries on College Campuses”
- House Subcommittee on Economic Opportunity and Subcommittee on Technology Modernization (House Committee on Veterans Affairs) Joint Hearing: Reviewing the Digital G.I. Bill Program
- House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations (Committee on Financial Services) Hearing: Oversight of the Proxy Advisory Industry
- House Committee on Small Business Hearing: “Stolen Taxpayer Funds: Reviewing the SBA and OIG Reports of Fraud in Pandemic Lending Programs”
- House Subcommittee on Energy and Mineral Resources (Committee on Natural Resources) Meeting: Legislative Hearing on H.R. 4374 (Rep. Crane), “Energy Opportunities for All Act.”
- House Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment (Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure) Hearing: Review of Fiscal Year 2024 Budget Request: Agency Perspectives (Part II).
- House Subcommittee on the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia (Committee on Foreign Affairs) Hearing: Examining Fiscal Year 2024 Budget for South and Central Asian Affairs
- House Subcommittee on Immigration Integrity, Security, and Enforcement (Committee on the Judiciary) Hearing: The Consequences of Criminal Aliens on U.S. Communities
- House Select Committee on the Strategic Competition Between the United States and the Chinese Communist Party Hearing: Risky Business: Growing Peril for American Companies in China
- Senate Subcommittee on Taxation and IRS Oversight (Finance Committee) Hearings to examine assessing 25 years of the Child Tax Credit (1997-2022).
- Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Hearings to examine the Compact of Free Association Amendments Act of 2023, a joint resolution proposed by the Secretary of State and the Secretary of the Interior, to approve agreements concluded with the Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of Palau (and an agreement with the Republic of the Marshall Islands upon its conclusion) to amend the Compacts of Free Association with the Freely Associated States.
- Senate Subcommittee on Oceans, Fisheries, Climate Change, and Manufacturing (Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation) An oversight hearing to examine the budget of the United States Coast Guard.
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations Business meeting to consider S.2043, to provide for certain authorities of the Department of State, S.1457, to authorize negotiation and conclusion and to provide for congressional consideration of a tax agreement between the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO), S.1203, to amend the Peace Corps Act by reauthorizing the Peace Corps, providing better support for current, returning, and former volunteers, S.847, to establish the International Children with Disabilities Protection Program within the Department of State, S.2006, to foster Tunisia’s democratic institutions, to limit funds until Tunisia restores checks and balances, and to authorize the creation of a fund to support democratic reforms, S.416, to designate the Russian-based mercenary Wagner Group as a foreign terrorist organization, S.490, to require the President to remove the extension of certain privileges, exemptions, and immunities to the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Offices if Hong Kong no longer enjoys a high degree of autonomy from the People’s Republic of China, S.Con.Res.2, commending the bravery, courage, and resolve of the women and men of Iran demonstrating in more than 133 cities and risking their safety to speak out against the Iranian regime’s human rights abuses, S.Res.20, condemning the coup that took place on February 1, 2021, in Burma and the Burmese military’s detention of civilian leaders, calling for an immediate and unconditional release of all those detained, promoting accountability and justice for those killed by the Burmese military, and calling for those elected to serve in parliament to resume their duties without impediment, S.Res.75, reaffirming the state of Arunachal Pradesh as Indian territory and condemning the People’s Republic of China’s provocations in South Asia, and the nominations of Richard Mills, Jr., of Georgia, to be Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Department of State, Nisha Desai Biswal, of Virginia, to be Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the United States International Development Finance Corporation, and Gerald H. Acker, of Michigan, to be a Commissioner on the part of the United States on the International Joint Commission, United States and Canada.
- Senate Appropriations Committee Business meeting to markup an original bill entitled, “Legislative Appropriations Act”, an original bill entitled, “Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act”, and an original bill entitled, “Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act”.
- House Subcommittee on Housing and Insurance (Committee on Financial Services) Hearing: How Mandates Like ESG Distort Markets and Drive Up Costs for Insurance and Housing
- House Subcommittee on Crime and Federal Government Surveillance (Committee on the Judiciary) Hearing: Fixing FISA, Part II